Since the end of season 4, I’ve seen the occasional opinion expressed that Ian doesn’t love Mickey as much as Mickey loves him or that Ian is less supportive and I want to address this.
Ian has been massively supportive and loving. Prior to season 4, Mickey was practically incapable of overtly expressing an emotion (for legitimate reasons, of course). Ian stuck with him through every empty threat, through every prideful lie, through all the hurtful words meant to push him away. He gave Mickey his unconditional support every time he came back to him, every time he tried to help him, every time he offered affection and caring. When Ian visited Mickey in juvie, that was love and support. When Ian picked Mickey up from juvie even though Mickey wouldn’t even touch him in public, that was love and support. When Ian tried to talk Mickey out of killing Frank (and later Kev), that was love and support. When Ian ran off with Mickey after he assaulted Ned on the street, that was love and support. When Ian refused to give up on Mickey after the events of 3x06 and 3x09, that was love and support (and yes, I believe in his misguided way, he was trying to show love and support). When Ian allowed Mickey to live with him at the Gallagher house, that was love and support. When he silently encouraged Mickey to kiss him at the club, that was love and support. When he invited Mickey to the party to expose him to a different side of life, that was love and support. When he jumped in when Terry was beating Mickey at the alibi, that was love and support. When he wrapped him arm around Mickey and kissed his head, that was love and support. And there are so many more examples. Just because Ian has never thrown Mickey over his shoulder doesn’t mean he hasn’t supported him. There’s more to love and support than grand gestures.
MAN i love anything and everything gothic americana like think about southwestern gothic with flickering motel lights and thieves and snakes hiding in sunset deserts, but also new england gothic with deep dark woods and bodies sunk into the bottom of freezing lakes, and appalachian gothic with dirty-feet tangle-haired children and small crumbling houses and the wind whistling eerily, and even midwest gothic with lonely tractors rusting away in the sunlight and endless plains and plains of vast nothingness as far as the eye can see, florida gothic (old bones sunk into the swamp), wisconsin gothic (the town’s been snowed in for weeks now, who knows what’s happening up there), california gothic (they don’t call ‘em ghost towns for nothing), colorado gothic (something’s living up in those mountains and it only comes out at night) and of course southern gothic to rule them all, a landscape of witchery, poverty, hellfire and damnation
- 4x11 when ian compliment his legs like a good boyfriend and mickey calls him a fucking dick and then they banter a little and mickey’s smile so wide ahhh yiss
- 3x06 when he presents his anal beads to ian like he’s got zero shame, he owns this sex toy and he wants ian to use it with him and the smile he’s got when he’s explaining them to ian my happy tiny little bottom prince uwu
- 4x12 when he wakes up naked with ian spooning him naked and he sees ian’s yaoi hand holding his naked and he looks so content and soft and vulnerable naked and he caresses ian’s face and oh yeah they’re naked and sharing the same side of the giant bed and so comfortable with each other wtf
- 1x08 (??) when they’re playing video games and they’ve just did the do and mickey presses his legs against ian’s and he’s all like “watch and learn” and he’s still feeling a lil vulnerable but not wanting to be clingy but still wanting to be near ian hahahahahaha
- 4x11 when they’re pushing!!! and shoving!!!! each other into walls!!! and mickey tackles ian into bed!!!!!!!! and calls him tough guy!!! why didn’t they fuck??!?!
- 1x10 (???) when ian goes to visit mickey in juvie and tells him that he misses him and did something to get him money for his commissary and mickey is so bashful and looks down and loos away hiding his smile and the little bb is so in love so early on kill me now